{Teacher Tuesday: Back to the Basics}


School is officially back in session for most teachers, which means the countdown for summer vacation currently sits at 289 days away. Thanksgiving Break is only 94 days away, and Christmas Break is only 128 days away, but who's counting? It's not like I have an adorable son to hang out with at home... oh wait!

For you non-teachers, the week before school starts is filled with teachers learning in professional development sessions (or trying not to fall asleep since it's hours and hours long - amIright?), setting up classrooms, creating lesson plans, prepping for the Meet the Teacher Night and the first day of school, running enough copies to take out a whole forest, goal setting, aligning teams, throwing piles of junk away, gawking over who is in your class and asking their previous teachers about them, trying to create rigorous lessons that challenge everyone at their own level (trust me, this is super easy --- I wish you could sense my sarcasm while reading this), taking things out of the junk pile you're afraid you might need at one point in your year despite NEVER touching it previously, and trying to cross items off an ever-growing checklist.

The beginning of the school year is like the life cycle starting over. Everything is fresh and shiny (unless you're using last year's paper on your bulletin boards). While it is refreshing to have a blank slate, I actually like the 2nd week of school better. Everything settles into routines and all the clunkiness of getting the wheels going again sort of dissipates.

With Wesson now in the picture, and wanting to spend every minute possible with him when I'm not at school, time management is going to be a big goal for me this year. I want to make every minute I'm at school count so when I leave my priority can shift from school to Wesson, Ryan, and our sweet border collies. (In previous years, I would stay at school anywhere from 1 to 3 hours after kids were dismissed prepping, planning, grading, socializing, cleaning, etc.,) Additionally, I'm part of a tripod now which means I see 3 classes per day. I am in for a butt whipping until I settle into this new routine, y'all. Send warm fuzzies my way. :)

As for you, sweet kiddos of classes 2B, 2C, and 2D I hope you're dusting your learning pants off and are ready to go to work. If the planning of our switching classes schedule is indicative of our time this year (it took us an hour to figure that bad boy out) we are in for a busy and fun ride. Your co-teachers and I are excited to embark on this adventure with you.

And to you, my fellow teachers, may the coffee be readily available and strong, the copier always in good working condition, your parent volunteers plentiful, your lesson planning brief, the printer fully stocked with ink, your students well behaved, and ... who am I kidding? Let's begin again... May the coffee always be readily available and strong, and may your year be blessed. Here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...