{That Newborn Life}

Sweet Wesson entered the world on Wednesday, April 27th, 2016 at 8:14 pm.

Ryan and I checked in to the hospital the night before to be hooked up with Cervidil to prepare my body to be induced the next morning. Between being hooked up to several different chords monitoring me and Wesson, and Ryan sleeping on a glorified recliner it was a fitful night for both of us.

Bright and early at 7 am Wednesday morning, I was hooked up with my epidural (a fantastic choice, I might add -- I HIGHLY recommend it) and then started on pitocin. I progressed fairly quickly and by 3 pm we were ready to try to start pushing. We did some "practice" and I was told that around 5:00 we would really start pushing. At 5, the "fun" started and I tried with all my might to deliver Wes. My OB was in a few times to see how I was progressing. Wesson didn't seem to tolerate labor very well and I had to be put on oxygen and lie on my side in between efforts.

After 2 and a half hours my OB came in, whom I LOVE by the way, and asked me if I wanted her honest opinion or a half-hearted optimistic outlook. At this point I was exhausted and very frustrated so I opted for honesty. I was then told that I was more than welcome to keep trying, but that we were going to come to the same conclusion either way -- my pelvic bone was too low, or small, or narrow, or whatever for him to get through and a C-Section was going to be necessary.

I cried. Not because I didn't want a C-Section, and not because I didn't know the statistics. (We were told in our 1st time parent class that 1 in 4 couples would have to have a C-Section. I was now part of that statistic.) I cried because I had worked so hard and felt like I had failed our sweet boy and my husband. I was assured and reassured that I had done a fantastic job by my husband, the nurse, and my OB, and was prepped for a C-Section. Ryan was given scrubs and brought back literally moments before surgery which stressed him out to no end. He did NOT care to wait for "what felt like an eternity" he says.

At 8:14 our baby boy was born and our world has never been the same.  We spent two hours in the C-Section recovery area before being taken to postpartum, and family was only allowed to enter 2 at a time to see Wesson. I was EXHAUSTED and really don't remember much from that time. The medicine they gave me to cope with some shaking coming off of anesthesia made me extremely drowsy.

4 days later we came home with our baby boy nestled in our arms and ready to establish a "new normal". Ryan was gifted a month of paternity leave by his boss, and we could not have been more grateful. As I had just had major surgery, I was extremely limited on what I could and could not do for 2 weeks. I wasn't allowed to drive or take a walk around the block, and was basically limited to picking up our sweet boy.

It's no surprise that our lives have been a little crazy since that wonderful day just a little over 5 weeks ago. The days have been riddled with adjusting to life with a newborn, lack of sleep, acclimating the border collies to their new "puppy" brother (which they absolutely adore and are very protective of by the way), trying and struggling with nursing and infection, changing diapers that have made us want to gag, swaddling, bouncing and rocking Wesson to sleep, trying to understand the language of crying, and soaking up every moment with our perfect boy.

As we're nearing the 6 week mark, I have to say life with our newborn has gotten much easier since the first 2 weeks. Wesson is sleeping great, 4-6 hour stretches at night, eating like a champ, starting to smile and coo and make adorable noises, is a fantastic car rider, loves walks, was introduced to my 2nd grade loves last week before school was let out for summer and they loved meeting him, loves being worn (we had our first baby-wearing experience at First Monday in Canton yesterday and he was a ROCKSTAR! - despite sweating all over each other I loved wearing him), and is constantly filling our hearts with joy. My absolute favorite thing is when he falls asleep on my chest and we snuggle. It's simply the BEST feeling in the world.

I have learned that my desperate dependence on Jesus has grown to an even more desperate dependence because having this little boy humbles me daily. I have prayed for patience for as long as I can remember, and let me tell you my friends, having an infant CERTAINLY requires an abundance of patience.

We're so grateful to our family and friends who have helped us by loving on us, praying for us, bringing us meals, helping with cooking and cleaning and laundry, holding Wesson so we could shower, or calming him down so we could rest, etc. The list goes on and on. Thank you, thank you.

School's out for the summer and I am looking forward to 2 1/2 months of adventures with this little nugget.

I'm off to hold my angel baby and watch The Mindy Project, our current binge-watching show. Until next time, enjoy this picture of my sweet babe!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...