{Teacher Tuesday: Fair Days, Field Trips, and Funnies}


Happy Tuesday, friends!

Where should I begin?  We're in the 10th week of school.  Can you believe that?  I can hardly believe it myself.  Now, let's see what 2C has been up to these days.

FAIR DAY
A few weeks ago, we had our second day off from school, blessed fair day.  I know it's a day for teachers to escape their children, but Haley and Lisa, my new teacher besties, decided to brave the possibility of running into our children and go to the fair on fair day.  I have to say it really wasn't that bad either, and we only saw one child we knew, who wasn't any of our students.  We ate, drank, and enjoyed the fair FOR FREE (at the ticket was free), and naturally our diets started Monday.  No really though.

After we returned from the fair Friday, Haley and I went to Half Price Books since they were doing a 20% off teacher appreciation deal or something.  Being a teacher sure has some nice perks.  I have found myself looking for kids books all over the place since becoming a teacher.  There are some gems out there I loved as a kid, a need for lower reading levels than I have in my current classroom library, and specific books teachers like to use for teaching, like Kevin Henkes books which I of course had none of.  $50 later, I have several Henkes books, 30 something phonics readers, and 1 Little Golden Book - The Tawny, Scrawny Lion & The Clever Monkey.

No, I don't have all of these, but I am the proud owner of 4 of them. :)

FIELD TRIP
That's right -- 2C went on a Field Trip to the Environmental Center!  I have nothing negative to report about the experience.  Shocking, right?  Just kidding... kind of.  Anyway, we went to the Environmental Center which brought back fond memories of my days as a child heading there.  Not only did I frequent there on my own field trips during school, I actually have the joyous memory of falling into the lake one year.  I recall my teacher pushing me to try to regain his balance, but I digress...

2C, 2D and 2E all went together and my class ended up splitting in half.  Haley and her Mom, who chaperoned the field trip, ended up taking 4 of my kids, two of which were boys I normally have trouble with.  I didn't think that through when I split my kids up, but praise the LORD everyone was on their best behavior.

In the morning, we went on a nature "hike" and saw spiders, squirrels, trees, animal burrows and homes, birds, and tried to spot a fawn, but didn't have much luck other than finding fresh tracks in the dirt.  It was on that hike that my kids were fascinated by daddy long legs spiders, concerned that I would get eaten or attacked by something as I was the caboose, and I was asked, "but Mrs. Nabors, when do the squirrels start hatching from their eggs?"  Yeah... we're going to have to go back and cover life cycle, but I believe that's a spring concept.

After lunch, we swapped with the other class and fed the barnyard animals which included two baby goats, a drooling dairy cow, a longhorn bull, a pig named Sweetheart aka Schatzy, a small pig named Snowflake, and ducks and chickens.  I only fed the goats because they were adorable of course, but that was about all the feeding I really wanted to partake in, and it was for the kids... really we all know that's why I didn't feed more animals. :)




After feeding the animals we got to go catch grasshoppers and feed them to the indoor animals (i.e. lizards, snakes, frogs, turtles, fish).  I tried to scoop out a grasshopper to clear one of my student's nets so they could get another and the dang thing pooped on me.  Who knew grasshoppers would do that as a defense mechanism?  I certainly didn't.  Needless to say, my kids got a huge kick out that.  #teacherlife


I am proud of my little bears and look forward to taking them on another field trip, if the opportunity arises and the funds are available.  Despite being a little crazy on the bus because they had never been on one before, they were a joy. It was a blast to see their little eyes light up over the things they were seeing. :)

In other news, no desks have been thrown as of late, though I'm still having quite a bit of trouble with my classroom management.  My principal has been frequenting my classroom trying to help out and I am so grateful for the modeling and coaching she has provided the past couple of days.

Nothing else too terribly exciting has happened other than my second unpleasant encounter with a parent.  I don't think I've shared, but the first parent told me I wasn't doing enough to help her child.  That was fun.  So, you can imagine talking to parents isn't my favorite thing, but it's a necessity I know.  I know this is not the norm as well, and most of my students' parents are super willing to help out where they can.  That is something I am so thankful for.

Thursday afternoon I had my second encounter with a parent.  After telling her her child did absolutely nothing in my class that afternoon and that if it continued I was afraid the child would fall behind, she did close to nothing to discuss what I had just mentioned and instead switched the focus of the conversation to a time when another child put their hand in her child's face.  Cue frustration.  The conversation continued and we discussed both sides of the situation and what I had done to help correct the problem.  Initially the parent didn't feel like I had done enough, but with further explanation and additional follow up on my side, we both left mostly pleased.  You can't win 'em all, but I am proud of the way I handled myself and looked for a solution to the problem to the best of my ability.

So, that's a little recap of the past 2 weeks!  Hope you enjoyed.  Thanks for stopping by and hearing about the craziness of my first year of teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...