{Teacher Tuesday}

Happy Tuesday, friends!

Today I am excited to launch "Teacher Tuesday"!  My hope is that more teachers want to share their funny stories, teacher moments, lessons learned, melt your heart moments and we can get a link up going! :)

Anyway, yesterday marked the first day of my third week of teaching.  I know, I know, I can't believe it either.  Y'all, I have never been so tired from something so awesome.  I love every moment of teaching, though I wish the behavior problems would become very minimal... they are really draining.

My new schedule looks a little like this:
5:00 am - Alarm 1 - immediate snooze
5:15 am - Up and at 'em
6:30-6:45 am - Out the door to school (I like to leave by 6:30 so I get to school at 7:00)
7:00 am - Arrive at school/get last minute items ready
7:55 am - Bell rings - pick up 2C Little Bears in the auditorium
8:00 am - Eat Breakfast in the classroom - Yay & Nay - Lose all track of time
10:5% am - Thank Goodness - Planning Period - kids at Specials (PE, Art, Music, Computer) - Take a short breather and lesson plan - GO TO RESTROOM!
11:50 am - Kids back - time to finish science or social studies
12:30 - 1:00 pm - I never knew 30 minute lunches could go by so quickly.  Sit, eat, laugh/cry/lament/encourage with/other teachers.
2:55 pm - See ya 2C!
3:00 - 5:00 pm (sometimes 7:30 or 8:00 pm) - I've never left at 3:00 pm.  In fact, I've never left before 5:00 pm.  What the heck was I thinking that I'd get home early?  Maybe some day!

By the time 2:55 pm rolls around, I get back into my classroom, which is completely trashed by this point (although my kids are getting better at keeping things clean), I can hardly remember what day it is, let alone what happened that morning.  Days are long, but I haven't felt this alive in quite a while.

I love the challenges like figuring each kiddo out, getting to know them, understanding where they're coming from, and how to motivate them.  I like having to work hard to think of new ways to get my point across to kids, or teach them another way.  I don't want to be the teacher that stands in front of them and says the same thing over and over and over and wonders why they don't understand.  I also love learning new ways to do things I wish I had known in school.  Did you know you can do subtraction by breaking numbers apart and never have to regroup and somehow adding mixed in there too?  Yeah, I don't really understand that... YET!

I love calling home and bragging about my kids to their parents, even if it takes turning a talkative girl into a "social butterfly".  Yes, that's the kind way to say your child is super chatty.

I love dancing with my kids.  They let me indulge in my dance party dreams and will dance to "Shake It Out" by T Swift (my current fav song) over and over.

I love when they "get it"!  I have never felt like a proud mama bear until I became a teacher.  My smile grows wide and I high five and celebrate the heck out of my kids when they have that ah-ha moment and understand.  My kids are smart too.  They are cray-cray, but definitely smart.

I love getting to be a goofball when teaching.  Teaching is the one profession, other than acting (and is that really a profession?), where you get to be 100% yourself and it works.  Unless you're dull... then maybe teaching isn't for you. ;)  The other day we talked in accents because one of the three little pigs had a British accent.  Another day we flexed our muscles to help us remember contrast goes on the outside of the venn diagram and put our arms together to remember compare went in the middle of the venn diagram.  We also sing a lot, and rap a lot.  You know I'm in heaven.  Teaching has allowed me to really put a lot of myself into my lessons.

Do I like having to deal with discipline though?  Heck no.  It's the worst!!

Last week, a student got so angry that I took his tickets away, BECAUSE HE STOLE TWO FROM MY TICKET BIN and we DO NOT steal in Mrs. Nabors' class, he drug his desk across my classroom and started chunking pencils.  I wish I was kidding.  The next day, two of my students pushed each other, and some other kids are the playground, all while another child was so mad he grabbed his backpack and started walking out of school.  Most of this happened in the afternoon and the culprits were my boys.  Out. Of. Control.  Needless to say, we're working on behavior management in the afternoons, AND my kiddos have to EARN their recess.  I'm not taking them to recess if they can't behave in the afternoons. && trust me... we both need that recess.

While I stress over the behavior management problems, I have to give myself a break too and remind myself it's only the third week of school, though it feels like the 100th.  Our time flies, but it sure is fun each day with these sweet kiddos.  I can't wait to see how the LORD uses me in their little lives and how He uses them in mine. :)

Sorry for the randomness of this post, but in the future I hope Teacher Tuesday for me will be a little more structured.  Sometimes you just have to write and see what comes out! :)  'Night y'all!

1 comment:

  1. I'm a brand-new teacher and absolutely loving it so far. My students are highschoolers, though, yours sounds like they keep you ever busier!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...