{Teacher Tuesday: It's All Fun & Games Until Someone Throws a Desk}


Happy Tuesday, friends!

Welcome to another exciting edition of Teacher Tuesday.  Today's post goes out to all those who've ever had a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.  That's right, taking a chapter out of good ole' Alexander & The Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day, because I had one of those days.  Let's be honest and call it what it was... it was one of those weeks.


Last week was just crummy.  My angel baby kiddos would turn into hellions each afternoon.  I felt like I was genuinely living a real life Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde!  Our morning routines would go as planned, and then BAM! out of nowhere, in exchange for the sweet angel babies, small, 7 year old demons would come back to my class from lunch.

I know what you're thinking... well, did you take them to recess after lunch?  Did they come back hyped up on candy and energy from lunch?  Did you give them red bulls instead of milk?  The answer would be no, no, and no.  I tried taking them to recess when they earned it, because come on they already have to earn four stickers to go outside, and since that didn't happen frequently I felt like I owed it to them to go outside, and they only get to play for 15 minutes, so really what's the harm?  Since we only went outside one day last week, and they came back from lunch/recess hellions I'm not going to blame the recess as the culprit for the out of control behavior I experienced last week.

Things got so bad last week, one of my students got so angry because I was having to discipline them for everything (and he totally has some anger issues), that he THREW a desk in my classroom, kicked the wall and stormed out my classroom and down the hallway.  Yes, you read correctly... that'd be threw a desk.

Between the desk throwing that day and all the running around, acting like fools, screaming, hollering and carrying on, I had had ENOUGH!  It's really hard to think let alone keep your cool when 16 7 year olds are past the point of no return.  I spoke to my principal and assistant principal, with another teacher who's having similar problems in the afternoon, and they decided neither of our classes would have recess at all anymore and that we would start a chapter book and read to them to calm them down instead.

[Note: Our class goes to specials for an hour, then comes back to class for 30 minutes, then goes to lunch for 30 minutes.  My principal explained to us that even though they have 30 minutes of instruction in between specials and lunch, they are essentially on recess for about 2 hours, which makes coming back to class and focusing incredibly hard for them.]

So, we tried it Friday.  After the initial whining that they weren't allowed to go to recess anymore subsided, my kids were actually more calm in the afternoon.  That is until we went into group work, the two instructional coaches were in my room, my kids began talking - not about math mind you - and desk throwing kid got angry about a consequence he received from making a bad decision.

You guessed it... he threw yet another desk and stormed out of my classroom in a rage.  Yes folks, that's two - count 'em TWO - days in a row of the desk throwing chaos.  Out. Of. Control.

Needless to say, I left for the weekend in tears, exhausted and ready to relax.  Thankfully I have some awesome teacher friends, the two coaches that witnessed the chaos, the school counselor who knows about said child's anger problems, and a wonderful husband who were all very supportive and encouraging.

If I have learned anything from last week, it is that being a teacher really does mean wiping the slate clean and not holding any grudges on your kids as a result of their behavior.  I was also reminded that the time these kiddos are in my classroom may be the only structure and good thing that happens to them all day.  That was definitely a reminder I needed, and yes, Monday morning was really hard.  I was still frustrated and annoyed at feeling like a babysitter last week, but being frustrated with my kids wasn't going to start us off on the right foot for the week.

I prayed to strengthen my patience and I am definitely learning to be more patient each day.  My only saving grace is that my slate is wiped clean each day too.

Next week is my very first 6 weeks recap!  Be sure to check in next week to see the top things I've learned this 6 weeks, some hilarious moments, and other notables.  For now, I'll leave you with this gem:

This afternoon I brought out my very first Halloween decoration for the classroom, a jaguar print spider.  I asked my kiddos what we should name him or her.  Here were the current names suggested: Ryan, Rocky II, and Brian.  Needless to say, I asked them to go home and think of some awesome names for our new spidery friend. :)

Welcome to 2nd grade, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...