{The Start of Something New}

Anyone singing High School Musical's "Start of Something New" now too because of the title?  Yeah, sorry.


Tomorrow is the first day of my first school year as a teacher.  Over the past week I have gone from being extremely excited, to overly terrified, to my brain firing off in 8 different directions thinking about all the things I've needed to prepare for my sweet kiddos.

Now, my room is ready and waiting for kids to fill the chairs and occupy desks, to experience a love for reading in our reading tent, to laugh and maybe cry, to learn.  I. am. so. nervous.

Our school had some serious behavior problems last year, some I can't even comprehend being real, and others I am praying don't happen in my classroom.  I feel prepared for the worst, but am hoping for the best and hoping my classroom management system is strong enough to sustain throughout the year.

Our kids need improvement in their scores, primarily in reading.  Many kids are reading two grade levels behind where they should be.  Do I really have what it takes to help bring them up to speed?  I sure hope so!

I wanted to be a teacher because I wanted to make a difference in the lives of kids.  I want to love on them, to be a support system, to be a cheerleader and a confidant.  I want to teach them that there's much more to life than the here and now and what is tangible.  I want to teach them to dream, to be problem solvers and critical thinkers, and to never quit believing in themselves.  I want to model Christ's love to them.

Our school's theme this year is "Oh, the places you'll go!"  I am particularly fond of this Dr. Seuss story because my parents gave it to me when I graduated high school.  As I read the pages of the book now, I remember the fire it lit within me to do great things.  I hope to do that for my kids - to light a fire, spark, anything that keeps them dreaming.


So, tonight as I soak in a bath letting my worries drift away, I pray for every kid that walks into our school, every teacher anxiously awaiting students, our principal, assistant principal, and school staff eagerly awaiting laughter and young voices that will fill our halls.  We're here to stay, and we came ready to play.  Fear the roar.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on this new adventure--so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have an amazing year, sweet girl!!! It's going to be great. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...