{Community Brew - Marriage}

Happy Wednesday, friends!

I'm linking up with Rachel and Madison today to discuss something near and dear to my heart - marriage!  I am constantly trying to improve the way I love, respect, support, and cherish Ryan and so this is an awesome topic to be diving in to!

I love being married to this man!

community brew link up

We were asked to answer the following questions:

1 // How has this "life stage" helped you grow in your relationship with Jesus?

Y'all, marriage is hard.  I'm not going to sugarcoat it.  Maybe it's rainbows and butterflies for some people, but in our home every day is not a fairy tale.  Some days we're both stressed and tired, or I'm stressed and tired and that results in me being short to Ryan or vice versa, and then we're both ticked because we're immature.  We disagree on chores and have arguments.  I'm not saying this to make you feel badly for me, or to worry for the foundation of our relationship, because minus those bumps along the road of life Ryan is still the person I've wanted for 7 years (on September 1st! :))  He is the same godly man I fell in love with at Baylor, the same person I know is going to be a great dad to our future kids, the same person that makes me laugh uncontrollably, and the same person I swoon over... among MANY other things.

I say this to say, our marriage is not perfect, but we both have our eyes on Jesus and because of that we don't hang on to the bumps that come along.  Our marriage is real and we have to work at making the choices to live and act uncommonly (in a good way! - not the way of the world) towards one another, and sometimes we down right suck at it.  BUT we believe the LORD has called us together to serve His kingdom as a couple -- duh, that's why we're married. :)

This life stage has really made me look to Jesus when I think about how to be the best wife I can be for Ryan, and I am so grateful because putting Jesus at the center has helped me look to him in most every area of my life.

{Husband & Wife}

2 // What has God been teaching you about being a wife?

Again, being a wife is hard word.  It takes a lot of patience, and thinking about your actions and communication with your husband.  It's so easy to unload, or take things out on, or be short with, Ryan because we are so close.  We share everything and often times I don't put on the brave, kind, patient face with him that I might with others.  This is one of the biggest struggles for me.  I am constantly praying for more patience and to be kind even when we argue... which is also hard!

Additionally, you can't change your husband.  I know we've all heard that a bajillion times, but it's the truth and the LORD is always nudging me to remind me of that.  I can't change Ryan.  Honestly, I wouldn't want to.  Are there areas in our relationship that need improvement?  Absolutely, but I can't ask him to be something he's not.  [Note to self: Remember this next time we disagree.]  It's hard to ask the LORD to change my feelings about things I find obnoxious, and it's hard to ask for a change in that when you're annoyed, but I keep praying about it because I have faith that the LORD is strengthening our marriage and if I am attune to His ear I can make positive steps in our marriage.

Being a wife means relying on the LORD, trusting Him with your relationship, and being in constant prayer.  I want to be the wife the LORD intended me to be for Ryan, and I believe by relying on Him in everything I can be molded into that, and gain the patience and gentle spirit I am seeking in Christ.

What is the LORD teaching you in this life stage, be it single, engaged, married, or divorced?

Join us in the link up here and feel free to leave comments below!

3 comments:

  1. I love your honesty about marriage being hard. A lot of times when my boyfriend and I get in a fight, he will ask me how will we be able to get married if we are fighting now? And I always tell him that bring married is going to take a lot of work, but that in the end you marry the person who you want to spend the rest of your life with for all the good things that you have in your relationship, like what you mentioned above, and don't decide based upon whether we have an occasional argument or disagreement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for joining us sweet friend! I love your honesty and willingness to share your struggles in marriage. Love your heart :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great, Taylor! I totally agree with you on all of this and would say that my marriage is very similar :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...