{Not Interested in Excuses}


Y'all, I am feeling convicted.

Yesterday at church, our pastor talked about the story of the Good Samaritan, a parable I've grown up hearing (Luke 10:25-37).  The parable begins with a man of the law asking Jesus what he must do to inherit eternal life.  Jesus responds by asking the man what is written in the law.  The man says, "Love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength, and with all your mind, and love your neighbor as yourself."

Our pastor walked us through who each of these folks might be in today's day in age.  The priest would be the Pope, the Levite the Methodist Deacon, and the Samaritan would be anyone that's sort of frowned upon/looked at suspiciously in the US, aka a person of Iraqi heritage, a Muslim, etc.

After finishing the parable, Jesus asks the man who he thought the best neighbor was.  The man replies the one who had mercy on him, aka the Samaritan.  Jesus' reply is awesome; "Go and do likewise."

Such a simple phrase, but so powerful.

Our pastor went on to talk about who our neighbor was (everyone!), and why the phrase above is so hard for us.  The gist of it was, we make excuses.  Constantly.  When someone is hurt, when we see someone asking for money, when they do coat drives or take up other clothing offerings we excuse ourselves by saying it's her job, or it's his job, or he or she's trained to help.

In our tithing, our prayers, our quiet times we excuse ourselves by saying I can't this month, or I don't have time.  For me, this is huge.  I excuse myself to busyness all. the. time.  

I justify it by saying...

I enjoy being busy.
Busyness means I have things going on in my life.  I am important.
I am just so stressed because of all the things going on in my life right now.
I can't right now, I have too much to do.

These are the lies I tell myself to justify missing time with the LORD, when really what I'm saying is I have other priorities and LORD, you just didn't make the cut today.  You know what an even bigger reality is y'all,  He is not interested in my excuses.  He knows my heart, he knows my day, and I know I break His heart every single time I miss quiet time with him, every time I decide sleep is more important than saying my prayers fully with intentionality.

How could I possibly succumb to thinking that's okay?  The world says it's okay, but last time I checked being a Christian meant I am to lead an uncommon life that puts my Savior first.  How could I possibly imagine that I could hear what He's whispering to me, what His will is for my life, or even what He wants me to surrender to Him daily?  Not cool, Taylor.

Jesus isn't interested in my excuses, he's interested in my heart.
God has never been a bad neighbor, or Nabors if you will hehe, to me.  It's time to step up and be a good neighbor to Him.  
I will gladly shed my security blanket and title as
to be Little Miss Never Misses a Moment with Jesus, or Little Miss Dependent on Jesus.
There should be a t-shirt that says that...

What kind of neighbor will you be?  One who doesn't make excuses to anyone or your time with Jesus?  Or one who wakes up early, who talks the talk and walks the walk, and invests in your treasure?  Let's be Little Miss Dependent on Jesus 's together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...