{Community Brew - Community}

Happy Hump Day friends!  I hope this Wednesday is treating you well.  This week is going pretty slowly for me, and I'm pretty tired, so I'm grateful we're already half way through this week.

I have been invited to participate in a Community Brew Link Up with a group of awesome girls to get to know, encourage, and be vulnerable with one another.  If you're interested in participating visit Rachel at Oh, Simple Thoughts or Madison at Wetherills Say I Do to learn more.

community brew link up

Today's topic is about COMMUNITY since this a community brew after all, and it's actually something I've learned a lot about in the past few years, so I'm excited that it's our first topic!


To start, this verse is very near and dear to my heart because my Big Sis in Chi Omega read this to me when we had Big/Little Reveal.  She told me our family was a chord of three strands and not easily broken, and that she would always be there as would the rest of our family.  Love that girl. :)

What does community mean to you?
My most recent community group really lived out what I believe a good community group to be.  We shared everything, ran things by one another, asked for wisdom/advice/prayer for things, laughed and cried together, and genuinely lived life together.  They challenged my thoughts and actions on a couple things (as they did with everyone in our group), and it was out of love and really made me think about the decisions I was making and whether or not those were pointing towards Christ.  They attended my wedding, we have attended other member's weddings, we have shared many early mornings, coffee conversations, dinners, and time together.

These women guided me with Biblical truth and scripture in love and pointed me to Christ always, especially when I felt abandoned or hurt.  Even when they questioned my actions, I was grateful they cared enough to ask me what I was thinking or why I was doing something.  They were truly a strong foundation and support for me, and I believe I was to them as well.  Though our group has since disbanded, they set the standard for what I want in a community of women.  Thank you girls for your encouragement, support, love, wisdom, advice, challenges, and for daily pointing me to Christ.  Words cannot express what community means to me because of y'all.



Why is it hard to pursue community or open up to others?
I was hungry for community when I practically begged to join "Katie's" community group.  I knew Katie from ChiO in college, knew she was plugged in, knew I needed community and I wanted in hers.  Through prayer and discussion the girls invited me to be part of the community and I cannot express my gratitude.

Was it easy to just divulge my deepest, darkest secrets, to ask for scripture, to ask for advice and accept criticism?  Negative.  It was hard, so hard, but worth more than gold.

For me, pursuing community then wasn't the hard part because I wanted it so badly.  Opening up just came with the territory.  I saw the benefits of giving all of me to the group, my baggage, my dreams, my goals, my relationships, and I jumped on it.  There were still times I knew I was in the wrong and it was hard to admit my faults, but the benefits outweighed the pride.  Always does.

Now I'd say it's harder for me to pursue community.  I know I will feel more involved and closer to the people at my church if I do get involved in community, but I also want to invest in them, and with the thousand things going on in my life I wouldn't be a good community partner.  I want to be all in.  Once the school year is underway though, whatever my schedule may be, I want in on community.  It's hard to believe it'll be as amazing as my most recent community group, but I know the LORD calls us to be in community.

I'm not totally without community though!  For a while now, my friend Jasmine and I have been in community.  We meet bi-weekly for breakfast and have recently started Hebrews.  I am grateful for someone to share the above with and thankful she is so patient with my schedule, and my frequent tardiness.

What does it look like to "live in community" with other believers and non believers?
To be honest, I don't have a solidified answer for this one.  I believe I'm called to love others - rich, poor, homeless, prosperous, sick, well - doesn't matter.  I am called to love people like Jesus did and unashamedly point them to Him.  For now, that's the answer I'll give you, but I am going to keep this in the back of mind and perhaps I'll have a better answer some other time.

Why is community important to you?
For the reasons expressed above, and because I know what my life looked like without community.  The Lord made us to be in community with one another.  We are designed to share our lives with people who can love, support, challenge, pray for, and lead us to Christ.

What does it look like to love your neighbor?
I have a new perspective on this after I learned what really being a neighbor looked like.  Check out my post here about being a good neighbor.  After learning this, I am 100% certain it's my job to be a good neighbor to all.  There's no excuse for not being one.

Long story short, community is really important.  What are your thoughts on community?

So, that's the first installment of Community Brew.  Did you enjoy it??  Join in on the fun!!

3 comments:

  1. Well look at that! Another Texas gal and Baylor Bear! Sic'em! Just popping over from the link up. I am so thankful for all the opportunities and friendships this blogging community has brought into my life :) And hearing how others see community encourages me in my hunt to find one in my new season of life. I can't wait to get my post up tomorrow (following through with a series of my own today) and I'm so glad I stumbled upon yours, dear.

    Bailey Jean
    www.braveloveblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. So thankful that the Lord has shown you that community is essential to growth! It is such a joy to read that! Praise the Lord that he provides rich friendships that we can enjoy on this earth! Thanks for linking up with us Tay! Hope to see you next time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these thoughts you shared on community! I'm so thankful that you've experienced the treasure in community. What a blessing it is! Thank you for joining us sweet friend :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...