{Big News!!! - I'm going to be a....}


If you thought I was going to say "a Mom", you must not have read this post!  That's okay, I still like you!

Happy Monday, friends!

Today is the day I finally get to share some huuuuuuge news with you!  Let me just come out and say it.

I'm going to be a 2nd grade teacher!!!


I told my boss last week, and my department was notified this morning, so it's all clear to tell you now!  I know, it's a huge career change, but I am extremely excited to be working with kids again.  So, let me back up a bit and share with you what I haven't been able to share with you!

In April, I found out I was accepted to an alternative certification program to become certified in Early Childhood - 6th grade (EC-6).  After finding out I had been accepted, I slowly started receiving information about my program and what the next steps were.  I went to an interviewing class to learn how to interview for education jobs since I was scheduled to attend a job fair pretty quickly.  Getting a job is a BIG step in the program, and the sooner I got one, the more I could focus on other pressing items.

On April 26th I went to my very first job fair for the district.  This process was pretty intimidating since I didn't have a solid idea of what to expect, other than what I had heard from my interviewing prep course, I was not yet certified in EC-6, or highly qualified as they put it, and, frankly, it was kind of like a cattle call.  Every elementary school principal was stationed at a table and went in alphabetical order around the top of the gym where the job fair was held, and I was just supposed to walk around and hand out my resume while interviewing.  Quite intimidating.

I initially went in wanting to be in my old feeder pattern since I went to this district's schools growing up, and if that didn't pan out I wanted to be at a school that was less than 30 minutes from our house.  After 2 hours of walking around, waiting in line with my old feeder pattern schools and schools under 30 minutes from my house, those schools not having many job openings or any I were qualified for, and not moving forward during the screening process to actually meet with the principal (many principals brought teachers with them to help screen candidates before meeting the principals), I just started talking to any table that had an opening for a 1st-5th grade teaching position.  This was identified by a white board on each table stating what each school was looking for.

This method led me to the Mills Elementary table whose sign stated they were looking for K-3 teachers.  I was interviewed by a 1st grade teacher, then introduced to the principal.  I was feeling pretty good about moving forward to meet the principal, and I had gotten along well with the girl who had screened me.  After interviewing with the principal for a while, she told me they would contact me in the upcoming week to come and lead a mock lesson in the classroom and meet with a team of teachers.  I left the table feeling great about my interview, a little bummed that I hadn't been offered a job on the spot (which few candidates actually have happen), and not very excited to have to continue walking around and interviewing until the end of the job fair.

After grabbing some water and freshening up I checked my phone for the first time to see that I had a missed call and a text from an unknown number.  The text asked me to come back to the Mills table.  My heart raced with excitement and nervousness.  I didn't know anything about the school other than what I had learned during my interview, but I felt comfortable with both the principal and the teacher I had interviewed with.  When I got back to the table, I met with the other two teachers who were about my age.  Along with the teacher that had screened me, the three of us got to know one another while they took turns asking me questions.  Not too long after that the principal came over and said they wanted to extend me an offer as a first or second grade teacher!!!

I accepted, we filled out paperwork and they played Katy Perry's "Roar" to signal the news!  I was so relieved to be done with the interviewing process and to have been selected!


The last two months have been filled with studying for my certification test, attending certification test prep sessions, webinars with our coordinators, orientation, filling out scholarship information (my whole program is paid for!!!  Huge blessing!!!), visiting my school and meeting fellow teachers, taking my certification test (and PASSING!!), and gathering items for my class while wrapping up my time at my current job.

Tonight marked the very first night of my alternative certification training.  We will meet Monday thru Thursday for the next 6 weeks and I will learn how to be a fantastic teacher for my future 2nd graders.  Tonight was mainly an orientation and an opportunity to meet fellow interns.  I even won a prize for being one of the first 15 interns to complete the Meet Friends Bingo game. :)


Friends, family, and coworkers have been giving me books and supplies for my classroom and I am so grateful to have such wonderful support.  Allison even gave me "B is for Baylor" for my classroom yesterday when we celebrated Lo's birthday!  To say I have received an overwhelmingly positive response would be a huge understatement.  Everyone has been incredibly encouraging and supportive, especially my husband, who is always supportive, and my boss who is sad that we won't be working together, but genuinely thrilled for me.  My new boss has big shoes to fill, because my current boss is one in a million.  I am a lucky, lucky gal.

B is for Baylor book!

Old roomies celebrating Lo's birthday!

I am so excited to move into this next phase of life as a 2nd grade teacher, and I can't wait to love on and serve some sweet kiddos.  I wholeheartedly believe this is where I'm supposed to be, and believe the LORD will use me in big ways!  I know this experience will be both challenging, tiring, and full of excitement all together.  I can't wait to see what this season holds and share the highs and lows of teaching with you!  Oh, and I guess I should start getting used to being called Mrs. Nabors.  :)

2 comments:

  1. Yay T! Those kiddos are SO lucky to have you as their teacher!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're going to be such a good teacher!! Yay!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...