{Push It}

Happy Valentine's Day, friends!


I hope you are doing something special with the one you love!  I know there's the cliche about Valentine's Day being Hallmark's holiday, but what's wrong with a holiday celebrating the one you love most?  Nothing if I do say so myself... though I believe my husband, like most men, believe it's just a day you're expected to buy overpriced flowers, chocolate, and cards.

For me, it's not the flowers, cards, or chocolate that make the holiday special, though those items don't hurt either... well, the chocolate does hurt my waistline!  It's spending time with the one you love, being together, and celebrating each other.  There's no prerequisite that you have to spend a ton of money, nor is there that expectation (for me at least).  That's what I think people, guys especially, get hung up on though.  That's my two cents!

In other news, I am so proud to tell y'all I have not missed or cheated on a single work out this week!  That is really great news to me y'all.  However...

Yesterday was hard.

& that small fact made me very, very nervous for my race.  If you've been tracking with me, you can see my workouts for the week here.  Yesterday's work out called for: Swim: Recovery - 3 x 400, 200 easy cool down. Run: 90 minute long run.  Since I knew I wasn't going to be able to get the run in during my lunch break, and the swim was a recovery swim so I wasn't all that concerned about it, I opted to complete my work out after work and take a short lunch break.

Since the run was going to take much longer than the recovery swim I decided to complete it first and that ensured that I had my very own treadmill which tends to fill up during peak hours, like after work.  While running on the treadmill is far from ideal, I feel it's better to get the miles in than not, and as the sun was already setting when I reached the gym I knew this was my best option.

The run felt hard.  I didn't feel tired and unmotivated from work, but it just felt hard to get in a rhythm initially.  I think I had tied my shoes too tightly too, so I think that frustrated my feet, but I still just couldn't find my rhythm.  An hour and a half later, 2 "Cupcake War" shows, and 1 3/4 complete episode of "Chopped" later I finished.  I was soaked from sweat, had adjusted my shoes nearly 10 times, and had finished my entire bottle of water, but I finished.

I felt a little hungry, but I didn't feel like I needed my Gu Energy package so I changed into my swimsuit and went on the water without it.  The swim felt hard, but I knew I had just run a little over seven miles and that was to be expected, so I pushed through and finished my swim in no time.  The swim actually felt pretty good and it was a nice stretch after my long run.

After I got out of the pool it hit me like a ton of bricks.  Forgoing the Gu Energy packet was a very, very wrong move.  I felt nauseated, my head hurt, my body was starting to get sore, especially in my back, and I just wanted to lay down and close my eyes.   All I could think was, "Is that what I will feel like after 2 hours into my race?  OMG."  I completely panicked.  I knew I had run and swam hard, but I estimate this race taking me about 7 hours.  I CAN NOT be wimping out and exhausted after 2 hours.

I knew I needed to get something other than water in my system so I opted to take my Gu Energy shot.  It was definitely a good decision and made me feel a little better.  I picked myself up off the bench I sat on in the locker room for 10 minutes too long and drove to the store to pick up a few things, keeping my fingers crossed along the way that I would not hurl in my car.  Luckily, I did not.

Then it got pathetic at the store, y'all.  In an effort to make the nausea leave I picked up and started eating a banana around the store.  Yes, I was that girl.  Yes, I got weird looks from people.  No, I didn't care.  :)

How I think I looked walking around the store.

I finished my shopping trip, went home, put some cereal in my system, and showered.  It was glorious.  When I finally crawled into bed my body totally relaxed and I'm fairly certain Ryan and I went to bed at 10:45 as a result.

Today I'm feeling a little less panicked about my race.  I should have known better than to go so long between my afternoon snack and taking in some sort of energy or food during my long run or before my swim.  Lesson learned.  My swim today felt good, though I can tell my body was having to work extra hard since it was still tired from last night.

I'm looking forward to the sunny weather this weekend and getting out on my bike.  If you're up for a ride, let me know!  Until then though, I'm off to celebrate the love with my hubs with some sort of dinner and Despicable Me 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...