{Is Gluten Free the way to be?}

Honesty moment - I've been really frustrated with my weight lately.  I suffer from hypothyroidism (lucky me at 25, right?) and have to take a daily supplement called Armour Thyroid.  Every 6 months I have my blood taken and my doctor evaluates whether my results show that my medicine needs to be lowered or raised based on what my T3 and T4 are currently sitting at.  T3 (triiodothyronine) and T4 (thyroxine) are tyrosine-based hormones produced by the thyroid gland that are primarily responsible for regulation of metabolism.  If your body has an excess of T3 and T4, or both, you get what's called hyperthyroidism (I feel like this would be the lesser of the two evils, because at least with this one you LOSE weight).  If your body doesn't make enough T3 or T4, or both, you can get hypothyroidism.  And that's where we are... hypothyroidism - better known as the detriment to Taylor's weight control when not managed correctly.


Recently, I noticed I was gaining weight which seemed pretty odd given I play on 2 softball teams, a kickball team, work out at 3-5 times/week, and walk Jetta Belle or play frisbee with her pretty consistently, and I eat pretty well.  I wouldn't attest to being a nutrition freak, but I do try to make decent choices with my diet.  I have been snacking on avocados a lot, guiltypleasure, but surely that wasn't the culprit.  In fact, I've been trying to walk JB every night, but some nights I just can't make it out for a walk due to other activities.  (Poor moosie)
Look at this face.  How could I not take her walking or running every day?  What a doll.

So naturally, I got a little frustrated with my weight.  I noticed it in my legs first and proceeded to question my personal trainer's judgement on having me do such high reps with moderately heavy weight on leg day, but my mom suggested it might be my thyroid.  Why I didn't think of that since this has happened before I couldn't tell you.  Blondemoment. Went to check with my doctor, frustrated, and almost in tears, and she voted we check my thyroid.  She asked me if I had experienced other common symptoms of my disease when it all clicked, that yes, in fact I was experiencing muscle fatigue, uncontrolled weight gain, and dry skin (super uncommon for me)... all very common symptoms for someone struggling with hypothyroidism.  DUH.  She took my blood and gave me a B12 shot to give me a boost of energy.  Monday morning rolled around, and whatdyaknow?  My T4 was very low.  Shocking to those of you reading, I know.  Anyway, my doctor recommended adding more protein to my diet for starters and she raised my armour thyroid prescription to help counter the lack of T4, but I decided to look into good foods for people with hypothyroidism and foods to avoid, and have been seeing a lot of consistency in people recomming avoiding gluten.

At first I thought, no way!  I'll never be able to eat pasta, my husband won't be on board, what about future kids if I decide this for my diet, what about dinner parties or eating out - what a pain that would be - but after reading through several blogs and articles about going gluten free it seems moderately doable.

It seems the basic principles are the following:

Foods you can eat:
  • Fresh fruits and veggies
  • Meat and fish (that have not been breaded, marinated, processed)
  • Rice, corn, and potatoes
  • Eggs, nuts (in shells or unshelled), beans, and legumes
  • Fruit juices, unflavored milk, whole and ground coffee beans, unflavored tea
  • Oils (including canola oil)
  • Gluten Free Grains (rice, corn, amaranth, buckwheat (kasha), montina, quinoa, teff, sorghum, soy)
Foods you should avoid:
  • Wheat or ingredients with wheat in the name (except buckwheat)
  • Barley or malt
  • Rye
  • Breaded or floured meal, poultry, seafood, vegetables
  • Licorice (eww), imitation crab meat, beer
I told my mom I thought it would be hard especially eating out and what not, but she said even if you cut back a little you would probably see an improvement and it would get easier as time went by.  Ryan even encouraged me to talk to one of our friends who is gluten free and cooks delicious food for them, and said he would be okay with that.  What a great support system. :)

Anway, does anyone have any advice regarding going gluten free?  I am alllllllll ears!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...