Call Me Mrs. Meatloaf

So, I may be over exaggerating a little bit, but you have to know that's not uncommon, but making dinner has made me feel so wifey lately.  I love making food and having it ready for us for dinner!  I'm not talking spaghetti, or breakfast for dinner either, though I am a pro at breakfast for dinner, Ry asked me to venture out of the 5 or 6 dishes I feel comfortable making and have made for him before. :)

I totally understand and have actually enjoyed trying new things despite the initial fear of things not going well at all.  Ryan has been with me through some of those moments I am afraid to say.  It's usually a result of the timing that I have a hard time with.  My mom always told me that was the hardest part of cooking.  She wasn't lying!

The first two new dishes I tried were made in the crock pot, and since they cooked all day on low I wasn't super worried about the time!  I made Taco Soup from a recipe I got from one of my shower's from my biking buddy, Llora!  BOY WAS IT GOOD!  IT WAS SOOOOO GOOD! 

The second thing I made in the crock pot was Butternut Squash Soup.  It was really good too and super easy to make.  Ryan peeled, scooped the insides out, and cubed the butternut squash the night before while I sauteed some chopped white onion.  The next morning I put the cube butternut squash, the sauteed onions, 4 chicken bouillon cubes, a cup of water, dried marjoram, black pepper, and cayenne and let it cook all day while I was at work.  When I got home I took 1/2 the mixture and blended it until it was smooth, then the other.  I then added 8 oz of cream cheese and mixed it well with a whisk!  It's savory and sweet and SOOO good.  It didn't make that much, so I made grilled turkey and cheeses for Ryan and I to pair with our soup.  Because it's thick and savory it's pretty filling, so we probably didn't need the grilled sandwiches, but they were good too and I had already made them.  I recommend it, unless you're a texture person, then you probably won't like it very much.  MamaMcD is that way so when she tried it she nearly spit it out.  (I promise it wasn't because it didn't taste good.  In her defense, she doesn't like butternut squash and she didn't like the texture.)

Lastly, I made The Pioneer Woman's meatloaf.  It's homemade, and topped with bacon.  I've tried to make it before, but it didn't cook all the way through.  I was a little hesitant to make it again, especially since I had invited Mama and Papa McD over for dinner, and fear my husband would give me grief like the college noddle incident.  I paired that with homemade macaroni and cheese which I used a little too much dried onion on, but turned out good regardless.  Thankfully, the meatloaf cooked all the way through and was moist and delicious!  Ryan loved it, exclaimed it was one of the best meatloaves he's ever had, and I was redeemed from my college noodle experience. (I once turned noodles back to dough because I left them sitting in the pot too long -- again, I blame the timing!  Ry never lets me live that down.)  Maybe now he will. :)

I need to look through some more recipies and try some more things.  I'll let you know how they go!  Hopefully, they'll all be as fantastic as the meatloaf experience.

Until next time,
The Newly Nabors

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...